Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hollywood actress Katie Holmes joins the 'braidy bunch' with Jamaican hair beads on set of new movie

As Hollywood wife to Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes is under enormous pressure to keep up her sleek and stylish look, usually in the latest designer fashions.

So fans will understand why the 30-year-old might enjoy letting her down in an edgy role in her new movie, The Extra Man.

Hot Katie Holmes

In contrast to her usual flawless appearance, Katie's free-spirited character wears Jamaican hair beads, usually favoured by young children.

In contrast to a recent scene where Katie's character was spotted breaking down in tears in the street, it was all fun and laughter last night as she filmed on location in New York.

Wrapped up for the chilly evening, Katie frequently burst into giggles as she performed a scene with co-star Paul Dano.

Hot Katie Holmes

Her edgy new role in the comedy is hopefully a return to form for the actress, who wowed critics six years ago playing a punky young woman in Pieces Of April.

Since she started dating husband Tom in April 2005, Katie's acting career has taken a back seat to her family.

Her only movie role since their marriage was in crime caper Mad Money last year, which failed to amuse critics or audiences.

Last year, she embarked on a gruelling four month run in the Broadway production of All My Sons, which received lukewarm reviews.

Sexy Katie Holmes

In The Extra Man, adapted from a book of the same name by Jonathan Ames, Katie has a supporting role as a friend of Paul's character.
Katie Holmes is seen walking to and from her trailer on the set of 'The Extra Man'

Cheer up Katie: Earlier that evening, a sombre looking Katie was seen walking to her trailer

Little Miss Sunshine star Paul plays a troubled young man who finds a teaching job in New York City and ends up living with an 'elderly eccentric', playing by Kevin Kline.

Paul's character goes on a journey of self-discovery as he explores his sexuality and finds himself drawn to the transvestite community.

Hot Katie Holmes

Katie's latest film role will extend her long period of separation from her A-list husband.

The couple spent a lot of the latter half apart last year while Katie was based in New York for her Broadway stint, while Tom was based in Los Angeles.

It appears the toil of balancing long working hours and caring for her two-year-old daughter Suri is taking affect on Katie, who has been looking increasingly gaunt in recent months.

Addressing recent reports she is planning another baby with Tom, Katie told Glamour magazine: 'I'm not pregnant right now.'

In the interview, Katie reveals she knew she was going to marry Tom - 16 years her senior - when she was a child watching him in Top Gun.

Beauty Katie Holmes

Katie Holmes told the publication: 'When Top Gun came out, my sisters were like, “Oh, my God, Top Gun! Tom Cruise!” And I very confidently said, “I’m going to marry him one day.”

'It wasn’t like, How do I get to Tom Cruise? It was just: I think I’m going to marry him. Why not? He’ll like me. I’m fun.

'From an early age I knew that I wanted to be in this business.

'So I did everything I could to get here, and when I met Tom, I knew in an instant that we were going to be together, that we were going to get married. He does have a very big life. And you know, we just do it.